How to Use Your Tending List to Live Intentionally Right Now
Today, we wanted to share a few ways our team and the Cultivate community are cultivating what matters in this time of great need. (We also love these tips!) Don't be afraid to scratch out, add to, or adjust your goals! You can even right "paused" next to goals that need to be postponed if that feels better :) Your PowerSheets were made for such a time as this and are ready to help you do small things right now—right where you are—that add up to the big things!
Some of our ideas are focused on taking good care of yourself, and many are focused on reaching out to help the people around you —even from a distance! We'd love to hear your ideas in the comments, too.
- Start a garden! If you are able to get outside, now is the perfect time to order seeds and create an at-home space to enjoy. And it will help you live longer!
- Begin your PowerSheets Spring Goal Refresh (page 87)—and sign up for the free live class where Lara will guide you to refocus and use this season well—right where you are.
- Write great reviews on Facebook, Trip Advisor, Google, etc. to support your favorite local restaurants, event professionals, small businesses, etc.
- Donate to your local food bank.
- Start a new Write the Word journal—there's one for everyone, but we particularly love Cultivate Hope right now.
- Drop a note in your neighbors' mailboxes or on your neighborhood Facebook group offering to make deliveries, share resources, etc. (See Kaylee's example here!)
- Start using your PowerSheets monthly calendar spread in a creative way (so many good ideas!).
- Have an at-home date night.
- Buy gift cards from local restaurants to use in the future.
- Listen to an episode of the Cultivate Your Life podcast. Favorites if you're new: 004, 008, 016, and 019.
- Organize a book swap in your neighborhood and leave books on each other's doorsteps (just be sure to wipe them down with a sanitizing wipe before reading!).
- Read a lighthearted fiction book.
- Listen to the March PrepCast again, if you need to.
- Cycle in and out toys from storage to keep things fresh for your kiddos.
- Organize an area of your home.
- Consider stocking up on birthday or holiday gifts for loved ones months early. Bonus: you can snag seasonal spring products that might not be on sale later in the year.
- Organize FaceTime "playdates" with your kids' friends.
- Do a workout from home at the same time as a friend. The muscles you most end up workout out might be your abs from laughing at the absurdity of it all, but that's not a bad thing :) Team Cultivate loves Yoga with Adriene, Melissa Wood Health, and the Balanced Life Online.
- Sing with your apartment neighbors, inspired by the Italians. (Ari, of Cultivate rap fame, took his guitar outside on Sunday and played and sang!)
- Even if you're not attending in person, give online to your church or any other organization you give to regularly.
- Write a letter to someone.
- Have a screen-free evening. Play board games!
- Choose to listen to a playlist over consuming more information (even if not virus-related) while on a walk or while driving. Give your brain a rest every once in a while.
- Skip the playground and visit a nearby wilderness area, rural park, or open field to kick a soccer ball around.
- Bake something (we love this no-knead bread).
- FaceTime family members (especially grandparents and older relatives!).
Daily Action Items:
- Follow the 20-20-20 rule: look 20 feet away from screens at least every 20 minutes for 20 seconds to help your brain rest. Better yet, step 20 feet away! :)
- Break out the good candle, the delicious-smelling lotion, the decadent chocolate. Use your favorite stickers and pens. Bake brownies. Treat yourself to the little luxuries you already have around your house!
- Use your tools. Your PowerSheets were made for the mess, not for when everything is going perfectly. Give them a chance to help you in your season of uncertainty and they will deliver!
- Take time to listen to your spouse, your kids, your parents, and/or your friends - in person or over the phone. We all likely have things we need to process right now. Use these tips if it feels hard to simply be present.
- Wipe down all "touch points" in your home.
- Keep to a consistent bedtime and wake time.
- Pray. Reach out to friends and ask them what you can be praying for.
- Get outside! Take a walk around your neighborhood. Smile at, or stop and talk with, your neighbors (just be sure to keep at least six feet apart).
- Listen to an inspiring and/or calming playlist (including Lara's right here!).
- Share good news and moments of brightness in text messages and on social media. One we have been enjoying: since the aquarium is empty, the trainers took the penguins for a tour.
- Tidy up the house, especially if you're spending lots of time there.
- When you need to run out for an errand, take a minute to thank the store employee checking you out. Offer to buy them a drink to enjoy on their break.
- Do your Write the Word journal alongside your kiddos.
- Do in the dark what you know how to do in the light. Maintain as best you can the simple rhythms of your day: rest, quiet time, exercise, water - whatever fuels you!
- Be extra kind and patient to everyone you meet, knowing we all have our own unseen struggles as we work through this together. We have a unique opportunity right now to be a light to those around us - how cool!
Want to learn how to thrive in this season?We'd love to invite you to join Lara for a half-hour free conversation about thriving in a season of uncertainty on Tuesday, March 24th at 1 pm ET. Register right here.
Finally, thank you so much for the kindness you've shown us and each other over the last few days. We're so grateful to hear how your PowerSheets® and Cultivate tools have helped you stay focused on what really matters in these topsy-turvy days! Like many small teams, your business matters more than ever to us right now (as well as our fulfillment and production partners), and we just want you to know how grateful we are to have you in our corner.
We'd love to hear: how are you cultivating what matters right now? Please leave a comment below so we can share ideas!
Cultivating What Matters in the Midst of COVID-19
Using Your PowerSheets in a Season of Uncertainty
P.S. We have TWO NEW products available for ONE WEEK ONLY (March 30 through Sunday, April 5!) that will help you thrive right now.
The Break it Down and Daily Notepad will officially launch in May, but since they were made for a season like this one, we want you to have them ASAP. They'll help you live out what matters—right now, right where you are! Available for ONE WEEK ONLY (Monday, March 30 through Sunday, April 6)! Our team has been using these products for weeks—and we can't wait for you to have them, too! Grab your Spring Refresh Bundle at a discounted price before they're gone at the end of the week!