Goal Action Ideas for Fitness Goals

We've talked quite a bit in the past about how to get fit and how imperfection can help you get in the best shape of your life, and we firmly believe those posts are full of encouragement and practical advice for you. We also know that when it comes to setting goals that work for your lifestyle, everyone is different, and sometimes you need a little inspiration when it comes to filling out your monthly PowerSheets Tending List.

We're starting a new series where we're going to be sharing a collection of monthly, weekly, and daily goals that align with larger themes we see in our PowerSheets community. Our hope is that you use these guides as resources when you're looking to make progress on one of your goals and need some inspiration to fill out the lines of your Tending List. Remember, these are simply suggestions to help get your wheels turning, and we welcome any additional suggestions in the comments!

First up, fitness goals! Whether you're a triathlete or you hate running with every bone in your body (I certainly lean more towards one of those than the other), the list below will give you some ideas for your Tending List if you're looking to prioritize your health and fitness this year!

Monthly Goals

• Download Couch to 5K
  • Find a personal trainer
  • Join a running club
  • Choose an exercise plan
  • Join the local YMCA
  • Buy a pair of running shoes
  • Purchase a Fitbit
  • Find an exercise buddy for accountability
  • Create a workout Spotify playlist

Weekly Goals

• Exercise 3 times a week
  • Run 10 miles
  • Track weight and measurements

Daily Goals

• Be active
  • Take the stairs
  • Park far away
  • Hit 10,000 steps
  • Go on a walk after dinner
  • Lay out workout clothes before bed

These are just a few suggestions of tangible goals you can add to your Tending List each month to make progress on your fitness goals for the year!

Get started on your wellness goals with our Wellness Goal Guide!

We'd love to hear from you: what else would you add to this list?

1. Lily
    Lily

On my powersheets this month, one of my monthly goals is to 'Complete a HIIT workout'. I haven't worked out in ages so this month is a starting step for me.

I'm loving this new goal series though, it's helping me have all sort of tending list ideas :)

Thanks gals!

I'm so glad it's helpful, Lily! We're excited about all the ones to come! Cheering you on in that HIIT workout!

Megan O'Neill

ooooh!! I am also adding HIIT to my tending list too!! I've never tried it!

2. Amanda
    Amanda

Love this post and super practical examples!!!

I'm so glad it was helpful, Amanda! Can't wait for you to see all the others to come!

3. Laura
    Laura

This is helpful! I look forward to seeing which other topic examples are to come!

Hooray! I'm so glad it was helpful! Feel free to send any suggestions my way :)

4. Elisabeth
    Elisabeth

Awesome Jess! Looking forward to these goal guides!! :)

So grateful it was helpful! Can't wait for you to see all the others to come :)

5. Cortney
    Cortney

Yes! This set up was so helpful to suggest goals. Thank yall so much!

I'm so grateful you were encouraged, Cortney! Can't wait to share the other goal guides in the queue! Xx!

6. Megan O'Neill
    Megan O'Neill

How did I miss this incredible post/series? So happy I am now seeing it! Thanks for the sharing! I am finding encouragement in these easy steps to get more active! One tip I will add is to drink over half your body weight in ounces of water each day. It seems like a lot, but once you get into the habit, you'll definitely find the results are worth it. I notice when I am not getting the allotted amount of water each day ... I feel so groggy and actually desire snacks instead of water. yuk. I set a goal to drink 100oz of water each day, because #overachieverstatus. I found that using hair ties to monitor how many Contiga water bottles I need to drink helps! I'll drink 4-32oz Contiga (from Target) bottles a day and I feel fantastic!

What a great goal, MEgan! I love using the hair ties to monitor your status!

7. Toby
    Toby

I recently started swimming and it's fun and an excellent work out!

What a great addition to your workouts! I'm not a big swimmer, but I keep hearing about how good it is for your joints! Cheering you on!

8. Katie Grace Comer
    Katie Grace Comer

Love the join a barre studio! I am a Pure Barre instructor here in Winston-Salem, NC. I work at both the Winston and Clemmons Studios and love it. I teach kindergarten by day and teach barre at night. It’s the best low impact workout for people who hate running and hiit style workouts! If you’re ever in town or planning a visit please stop by and I’ll get you into class for free!!

How fun, Katie Grace! I will certainly make sure to swing by one of your classes if I'm ever in that area! I love barre classes for those exact reasons! (Not a runner!)

9. Jenn Stein
    Jenn Stein

I cannot wait to get back on track. I went on a break due to injuries and because I became obsessed with my weight. I lost sight on the fact that I was working on getting healthy, not losing weight. I have struggled for years with binge eating, see I'm addicted to food and have never addressed the addiction. I've always found excuses or reasoned with myself as to why I should eat something. Now, it time to address the deep issues and stop reasoning with my addiction. Some don't believe that this can be an addiction, but trust me it is. It is real and difficult when you need to food to survive, it's not as simple as one might think to walk away. I have decided to take this one day at a time and one meal at a time. Instead of eating I am going to work on my relationship with GOD and have faith that he will give me the strength to help me finally beat this addiction.

10. Mhay
    Mhay

This is so awesome! This will definitely be helpful for my goals in 2018! Glad to get that email that had links to these blog posts this year.

11. Melody
    Melody

I'm brand new to Cultivate Whdt Matters and really appreciate all the ideas in this area of fitness. It is really making me look at what is a stumbling block(s) as to why I've not been successful in losing weight in the past. My weekly goal to add is: Shop for groceries for the full week . Thinking ahead of what meals will be prepared for a full time working mom/wife.. This will destress the diet plan process. Thank you for sooo many great ideas.

So grateful to hear that! Welcome to the Cultivate family, Melody!

12. Karen
    Karen

FIND A WORKOUT BUDDY! My girlfriend & I walk 3-5 mornings a week at 6am-and I am NOT a morning person. (She is a principal and needs to be at school by 7:45.). The walks feed our friendship and increase our fitness level. My daughter and I also attend Barre & Zumba together. A recent serious car accident has kept us from our exercise regimen (gratefully only temporarily) but has highlighted to me the important of fitness to help meet life's challenges + how much we depend on each other to be faithful to our exercise routine.