A Comprehensive Guide to Fitness Goals

We've talked quite a bit in the past about how to get fit and how imperfection can help you get in the best shape of your life, and we firmly believe those posts are full of encouragement and practical advice for you. We also know that when it comes to setting goals that work for your lifestyle, everyone is different, and sometimes you need a little inspiration when it comes to filling out your monthly PowerSheets Tending List.

We're starting a new series where we're going to be sharing a collection of monthly, weekly, and daily goals that align with larger themes we see in our PowerSheets community. Our hope is that you use these guides as resources when you're looking to make progress on one of your goals and need some inspiration to fill out the lines of your Tending List. Remember, these are simply suggestions to help get your wheels turning, and we welcome any additional suggestions in the comments!

First up, fitness goals! Whether you're a triathlete or you hate running with every bone in your body (I certainly lean more towards one of those than the other), the list below will give you some ideas for your Tending List if you're looking to prioritize your health and fitness this year!

Monthly Goals

• Download Couch to 5K
  • Find a personal trainer
  • Join a running club
  • Choose an exercise plan
  • Join the local YMCA
  • Buy a pair of running shoes
  • Purchase a Fitbit
  • Find an exercise buddy for accountability
  • Create a workout Spotify playlist

Weekly Goals

• Exercise 3 times a week
  • Run 10 miles
  • Track weight and measurements

Daily Goals

• Be active
  • Take the stairs
  • Park far away
  • Hit 10,000 steps
  • Go on a walk after dinner
  • Lay out workout clothes before bed

These are just a few suggestions of tangible goals you can add to your Tending List each month to make progress on your fitness goals for the year!

We'd love to hear from you: what else would you add to this list?

1. Lily
    Lily

On my powersheets this month, one of my monthly goals is to 'Complete a HIIT workout'. I haven't worked out in ages so this month is a starting step for me.

I'm loving this new goal series though, it's helping me have all sort of tending list ideas :)

Thanks gals!

I'm so glad it's helpful, Lily! We're excited about all the ones to come! Cheering you on in that HIIT workout!

Megan O'Neill

ooooh!! I am also adding HIIT to my tending list too!! I've never tried it!

2. Amanda
    Amanda

Love this post and super practical examples!!!

I'm so glad it was helpful, Amanda! Can't wait for you to see all the others to come!

3. Laura
    Laura

This is helpful! I look forward to seeing which other topic examples are to come!

Hooray! I'm so glad it was helpful! Feel free to send any suggestions my way :)

4. Elisabeth
    Elisabeth

Awesome Jess! Looking forward to these goal guides!! :)

So grateful it was helpful! Can't wait for you to see all the others to come :)

5. Cortney
    Cortney

Yes! This set up was so helpful to suggest goals. Thank yall so much!

I'm so grateful you were encouraged, Cortney! Can't wait to share the other goal guides in the queue! Xx!

6. Megan O'Neill
    Megan O'Neill

How did I miss this incredible post/series? So happy I am now seeing it! Thanks for the sharing! I am finding encouragement in these easy steps to get more active! One tip I will add is to drink over half your body weight in ounces of water each day. It seems like a lot, but once you get into the habit, you'll definitely find the results are worth it. I notice when I am not getting the allotted amount of water each day ... I feel so groggy and actually desire snacks instead of water. yuk. I set a goal to drink 100oz of water each day, because #overachieverstatus. I found that using hair ties to monitor how many Contiga water bottles I need to drink helps! I'll drink 4-32oz Contiga (from Target) bottles a day and I feel fantastic!

What a great goal, MEgan! I love using the hair ties to monitor your status!