Goal Action Ideas for Relationship Goals
If we rounded up all the goals set by all the PowerSheets users, I’d venture to guess that cultivating stronger relationships, and specifically stronger relationships with our significant others, would be in the top three. It comes back to that question Lara so wisely steers us toward again and again: where do you want to be when you’re 80? Who do you want to be? Who do you want beside you?
Today we’re continuing our Goal Action Ideas series with a Relationships edition, supplying you with a bank of ideas for your Tending Lists on that topic. Like all overwhelming things, cultivating a stronger, more joyful marriage or dating relationship is done through embracing little by little progress, and digging in even when things seem messy. I’d love to hear YOUR ideas, so please drop them in the comments!
P.S. We know not everyone is in a relationship right now (and some who aren’t might really want to be!). We see you. Happily, many of these goals work for non-romantic relationships, too!
- Brainstorm TV-free activities to do together
- Research marriage counseling (not just for “rocky marriages” — listen to our friend Katelyn!)
- Get out of the house for a date night
- Read the same book or article and discuss it together (doesn’t have to be marriage-related!)
- Work through our Goal Guide for Couples
- Order a yearly photo album or a wedding album, if you haven’t done it yet (oops!)
- Review your finances and set a goal to work toward together
- Have another couple over for dinner (watching how other couples interact can be so inspiring!)
- Write out your wedding and marriage story
- Read one new-to-you book on marriage
- Create a family mission statement (our goal guide can help you with that!)
- Look ahead and make a plan for your anniversary
- Print favorite photos from your life together and display them in your home
- Write your wills
- Ask “what’s one way I can help you this week?”
- Set aside one night for an at-home date night
- Consult your calendars together and make a plan for the week
- Get outside and do something active together
- Connect phone-free on a walk
- Pray with each other
- Sit down for a meal together
- Show gratitude to each other
- Pray for each other
- Act on each other’s love language
These are just a few suggestions for items to add to your Tending List each month to make progress on your relationship goals for the year!
We’d love to hear from you: what else would you add to this list?