10 Intentional Ways to Use Your Mornings
Are you a morning person? Whether you answered “yes” or “no,” you’re in the right place :) Though a perfect morning doesn't guarantee a perfect day, there's a lot of truth in the idea that how you start the day determines your day. Specifically, there are a number of practices you can cultivate first thing to make it more likely you'll have more days that are joyful, intentional, and productive. Whether you're known to hit the snooze button or unfailingly pop out of bed on the first brrrrrrrrng, we've got something for you to try!
1. Make your bed. Not only will you be less likely to crawl back under the covers, but you'll earn a dose of dopamine from your first tiny accomplishment of the day. Studies have shown that completing tasks makes us more likely to complete future tasks, so this is a great way to start a chain of productivity!
2. Shift your perspective. Make the first piece of content you consume a positive one. Along with some friends, Lara has written a little book of morning messages to encourage your heart first thing. Get your copy of It's a New Day here!
3. Ignore your phone. Checking your phone when you first wake up can add unnecessary stress to your plate. To avoid being overwhelmed, save the responses to emails, missed calls, and texts for once you finish your morning routine, and try charging your phone overnight in another room.
4. Start with gratitude. Though many people like to end their days with gratitude, we're fans of bookending your days this way! Write down three things you're looking forward to or that you're grateful for in your day ahead. You'll be primed to see the good in the rest of your day.
5. Recenter on what matters most. Pull out your PowerSheets® and flip to a page of Prep Work at random. Remind yourself of your big-picture vision, your yes and no list, your vision board for the year, or your legacy page. Having those words at the front of your mind will change your actions in the hours to come.
6. Review your goals. While you’re getting dressed and ready for the day, glance at your Tending List. Pick one thing you can do today to take action on a goal.
7. Write down your priority for the day. Choose just one and - this is key! - write it down. If you get to more, great! If not, you'll know you got to what matters most.
8. Kick off a goal. What simple step can you do before diving into your day to take action on what matters? Drinking a glass of water? Stretching? Practicing gratitude? Writing the Word? Flossing? :) Reserve a five-minute block in your morning routine to work on a goal or habit.
9. Get moving. Lace up those tennis shoes and take a walk or run around the block. Exercising gets your blood flowing and wakes you up from the inside out. Even better, find a friend who will walk and talk with you, even if they’re in your headphones!
10. Eat a healthy breakfast. Eating breakfast replenishes your energy, giving your body the fuel it needs to start the day. Plus, you'll be proud of yourself for making a good choice first thing - leading to more healthy choices throughout the day!
We'd love to hear: how do you spend your mornings? Are you an early riser or a night owl?