Introducing our Word of the Year

Each December, our team works through a set of company PowerSheets to help us navigate heading into the new year. Every team member has a voice, answering each question and prompt, including offering suggestions goals, encouraging words, and ideas for our Word of the Year.

Our word of the year is more than just a word we choose once and leave be. It's displayed in the office, we remind each other of it during team meetings, and each team members has a slip of paper with our core values and WOTY on it attached to her computer. We take choosing our Word of the Year seriously, though we also know there is room for flexibility in the PowerSheets Goal Refresh every three months! And judging by the number of you discussing your Word of the Year in the Facebook Group, I'd say you feel similarly!

I'm excited to share our team's Word of the Year today, and more importantly, why we view it as an opportunity for each of you, too.

When Lara shared the Hebrew root of the word RISE during our conversation, it all clicked for us:

To abide or accomplish
To confirm
To be clearer
To raise up
To strengthen
To succeed
To build
To make binding
To carry out
To make good

Each product in our shop is intentional. We create them to help YOU cultivate what matters in your life, right where you are. Whether you're looking to cultivate your marriage, your friendships, your faith, your family, or set good goals, our hope is to provide products and resources to encourage you along the way.

This year, more than ever before, our team is rising up to our potential. It's a year of growth for us–a year of stepping into the unknown. A year of saying no to doing what's always worked, and saying yes to what makes our heart sing. A year of saying yes to hiring new team members. A year of humbly serving others. A year of embracing challenges as opportunities, and having a lot of fun along the way. Most of all, it's a year of continually growing ourselves and our impact, not for the sake of growth, but because each of us firmly believe that our mission can encourage each and every woman on this planet.

Our favorite part about the word RISE? It means we get to take other with us. Like the aphorism says, "a rising tide lifts all boats." As we enter into 2018 prepared to make good on our mission to encourage and equip you to cultivate what matters, we look forward to knowing we're doing it alongside an incredible community–each of you! As our team steps out in faith to rise to our potential, we're asking you to do the same alongside us, believing the best is yet to come.

Your turn! Have you chosen your word of the year yet? If so, I'd leave it in the comments and let us know! If not, what are you leaning towards? We want to hear from you!

Feeling stumped on your word of the year? We wrote a blog post earlier this year with some of our best tips for choosing your word of the year.

1. Kelly
    Kelly

I love this! It's so fitting! You all have helped me push forward to being a better person and reaching some hard goals. Thank you for all the wonderful products that have not only helped me, but so many of my friends and coworkers.

We are so grateful for your kind words, Kelly! Here's to a great year ahead!

2. Katy Brown
    Katy Brown

Love it! Mine is GUTSY. I have several things that are happening in my life that I need to find the courage and nerve to tackle head on, and it just made sense! It wasn’t my first choice but derived out of the power sheet page when I dove in to the meanings of the words I was considering. It jumped at me from the page! I’m so excited for 2018!

3. April Choate
    April Choate

Last year my word was INTENTIONAL, for 2018 is it DISCIPLINE. Looking forward to a great year ahead! :)

Laura

I've chosen Intentional as my word this year!

Love that choice, Laura! Can't wait to see what this year holds for you!

4. Ashley Ziegler
    Ashley Ziegler

My word of the year is CHOICE! :)

Yay! Love this, Ashley, and I can't wait to see it play out in your year!

5. Laurie Mendenhall
    Laurie Mendenhall

I love this! My word of the year is LIGHT: understanding of a problem or mystery; enlightenment. As I have embarked on my cultivating, I have realized so much in just a few days. It's my purpose that I want to cultivate this year and LIGHT seems fitting. Rise would be a close second. I am so glad I found this page!

I love this, Laurie! That was my word two years ago, and it was a beautiful reminder all year long!

6. Sara Baker
    Sara Baker

My word for 2018 is ACTION! I’m in love with RISE and feel like it goes along well with my word. I can’t wait to dive into this year alongside everyone in this community as we all work towards our best year yet! :)

7. Kristi
    Kristi

My word for the year is PLAN! We fell short of our big financial goal last year because life got crazy and we started to just "wing it" around May and stayed that we all the way to now! Such a bummer!
    "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently."

Love this, Kristi! Excited to see how your progress last year will build on what you have planner for 2018!

8. Kayla Jones
    Kayla Jones

I love the word ride for you guys, I can’t wait to see how you guys cultivate that! My word of the year is SERVICE. Servicing others, my marriage, my self-care, and relationship with God well.

9. Nicole C.
    Nicole C.

Mine is surrender :)

10. Kathrene
    Kathrene

Love this! My word for 2018 is GRIT. To have grit is to have a renewed mindset, and having a renewed mindset means more than just mental wellness: it means having a mind like Christ's that would enable me to view life in all its beauty, how God sees it. 2017 was a hard year of mental health for me, so renewing my mind and being mindful of my time, actions, finances, etc (I.e. No mindless Instagram scrolling or mindless spending!) are my goals for the year!

11. Lakecia
    Lakecia

My word for the year is. BrAVE ! Over the past year I've allowed fear, laziness, and procrastination to hold me hostage...but no more . I vow to be BRAVE in the face of my daily challenges :)

12. Chante
    Chante

Intentional Purpose and Overflow

13. Tammy
    Tammy

My word is beautiful. God blesses us with it daily as well as within each of us. It is so easy to miss it and this year I want to be intentional in seeking it out daily and seeing it in myself.

14. Aimee
    Aimee

My word for 2018 is MOVE. I’ve been feeling stuck and stagnant for a long while, so this year I want to literally move my body, and to move forward in all areas of my life!

15. ArNelle
    ArNelle

My word of the year is INTENTIONAL. I have uncovered a few areas in my life where I can be more intentional. Excited to see how God is going to help me press through and intentionally grow this year. ❤️

16. Alexandra
    Alexandra

My word of the year is Devoted! I want to learn how to be fully devoted #1 to God in both body and spirit, #2 to my husband (learning to love him more and meet his needs), #3 to others (growing in my depth of friendships), #4 to myself (consistent exercise, healthy eating, and general care), and #5 to my job (working as if I'm working for the Lord, and not for man)

What a great word, Alexandra! We're so excited for you!

17. Laura
    Laura

I have two words on my heart for 2018 and I know it will be the midnight hour before it’s confirmed in my heart ( I feel like that’s how things are for me sometimes , He knows I’m not patient so it’s good for me to wait on something )
    My two words are
    1. Expectations
    2. Anchored - I am 99.9 % sure this is the one . I’m a think and over thinker and sometimes I find myself drifting too far in my thought process . I start planning for the “‘what ifs” and I lose sight of the moment “ now “ . I think anchored ties in expectaions . If I’m grounded to the Source I won’t sink into depth of sadness or get flighty with joy ... I’ll be steady .
    a person or thing that can be relied on for support, stability, or security; mainstay:
    If my mooring is [often pl.] beliefs, habits, ties, etc. that make one feel secure is anchored in His truth and His word I’ll be all set . Thanks for asking this question because typing this out sealed in my heart that my 2018 Word is “ ANCHORED”

What great options to have, Laura! The best is truly yet to come!

18. Mallory
    Mallory

My word of the year is Steadfast. Firm in purpose, fixed on what is ahead, and firmly established. My heart behind it is to know and believe and walk in that steadfastness for the Lord to do some major changing in my heart and beliefs. Letting go of lies I have about him and his goodness and embrace the goodness He has at hand for me. ❤️

19. Susan
    Susan

My word for 2018 is "Focus". So often I move from thing to thing and never get anything done. I listen to my children, but I may not hear them. I miss so much. So focusing will change that...

20. Hillary
    Hillary

It's funny because I had decided for a couple of weeks that my word would be "joy" even tho it was kind of a side step to what I really want for the year which is letting the year be a beautiful mess. But reading some of these girls' absolute certainty in their word made me realize mine was off a little. SO my word is FULL as in to capacity. ❤️

21. Mary Jo
    Mary Jo

Encourage

22. Becky
    Becky

My word for the year is "persevere". It showed up in my prayer time, over a period of a week, on several occasions. So I tentatively selected (or was selected by) it. Then it showed up again over the next few weeks several more times. I began an exercise program toward the end of last year but have not kept it up. In addition to several goals this is just one area of my life where I want to persevere.

Love that, Becky! Can't wait to see what this year holds for you!

23. Lauren
    Lauren

What a great word of the year! Mine is GROW! I started having some difficult health issues this year that made me stop and reflect on where I was this year. I realized that I was living to please others and was not happy with myself and not showing myself love. In 2018, I want to grow into myself. I want to grow to love me, grow in my confidence, grow in my marriage, in my relationships with my family, and in my friendships.

24. Annelies
    Annelies

Mine is RISE too!!
    Such a great word and I'm really hoping it will help both of us meet our goals!

25. Cara
    Cara

Joyful Focus

26. Mhay
    Mhay

How wonderful!!! This was my word for 2017!! I chose it after meditating on Proverbs 24:16. I was having a rough 2016 and on the verge of giving up so I wanted 2017 to be about getting up and rising to my potential. It's amazing how one word can have a different perspectives as with your team! So excited for the new year and my word for 2018 is persevere. (1 Tim 4:16)

27. Mechthild
    Mechthild

My 2018 word is "Self-Care", my 2017 word was "Grace".

I'm so excited for your word! What a great year ahead!!

28. Megan
    Megan

My word for this year is FLOURISH!

29. Kristen
    Kristen

My previous words of the year have been Joy, Listen, Trust, Grateful, Thrive, and 2017 was Light (which is the year I discovered PowerSheets and found out Lara had the same word for the year . . . confirmation I had found this special community at just the right time!). My 2018 word will be Savor. Soak in the senses, be present here and now, savor the simple, precious moments of life. I'm looking forward to this journey!

30. Katie
    Katie

I refocus on making HEALTHY strides in 2018. Healthy self-care decisions, healthy marriage to really date my hubby, healthy attitude about being present over perfect and relationship with faith.

31. Amy
    Amy

I am new to Power Sheets and I could not be more excited!!!!! I discovered 3 main threads as I looked back over my Power Sheet Prep Work...this led me to choose the word "CULTIVATE." I want to CULTIVATE these main three aspects during this season!

32. JenniferK
    JenniferK

My 2018 word is CREATE. I create, helping others create, create a good life, etc. I notice my reasons behind it are similar to my 2017 word INVEST, which I'm sure will continue to be relevant as well. I'm looking forward to creating more in the coming year!

33. Anna
    Anna

I'm thinking of using "GROW" as my word this year! So many areas that I want to cultivate growth in 2018 :)

34. Beth
    Beth

I chose CHERISH for 2018. My oldest graduates from high school this year and I plan to cherish every moment with him. I will also cherish other family and friends, my health, my job, my home, my church, my community, and the challenges that are bound to come my way over the course of the year. Happy New Year!

What a perfect word, Beth! I'm so excited for this new season for your family!

35. Anna Barnes
    Anna Barnes

My word for 2018 is 'ABIDE'. I am committed to live my life this year focusing on the word of God over what the world says I am, should do or should be.

36. Ashton
    Ashton

My word is Cultivate. I am praying Ezekiel 36:34 over my year! May my life be cultivated instead of lying desolate and empty!

37. Debbie Putman
    Debbie Putman

My one word for 2018 is surrender. I didn't intend to choose surrender; it wasn't on my list! But as I prayed over each word, the only way to achieve any of what I want to do and become who I want to be this first year of retirement is to surrender each day to God, intentionally, moment by moment.

Love when your word of the year pops in your head like that! Cheering you on!

38. Candice B.
    Candice B.

My word of the year is COURAGE! I feel like I need to have more courage to take chances, push myself outside my comfort zone, believe in myself and not always take the easy way. If I'm feeling uncomfortable or scared I need to realize it just means I'm growing! So here's to being more courageous in 2018!

What a great word, Candice! So excited to see what this year holds for you!

39. Cierra
    Cierra

My word of the year is actually two: KEEP GOING! I love this because it is a call for me to keep building, tending, and cultivating the things that I want the most. I recognize that if I don't give up but stay steady and focused on the goal ahead, I WILL see progress.

40. Ariel
    Ariel

I struggle with being too obsessed with work and the urgent but not important parts of life. This is my first time doing power sheets and my word of the year is PRIORITIZE. Excited to see how this goes!

41. Hope Easter
    Hope Easter

If it's possible, I definitely think I have more than one word for 2018. Give is starting to become more clear as I'm sitting here, but Surrender, and Focus. I'm really going to pray on these words, but I know they will play an important part in my life this year.

Love that, Hope! What a great focus for your year ahead!