Picture it: you've finished your work day. Maybe you've already put the kids to bed, and you're sitting down in your favorite chair to relax for a bit before bed. Maybe you pick up your phone to check in on Instagram or Facebook for a few minutes... which turns into a half hour... which turns into... the whole evening?
Been there. While connecting through our devices is a good thing in moderation (especially in this season of isolation at home!), too much time on our phones can leave us feeling numb, restless, exhausted, and (ironically) even more disconnected. For those evenings when you'd rather do something besides being on your phone, Team Cultivate has compiled a list of favorite alternatives. We'd love to hear yours, too!
- Read a book. Allow yourself to sink into the story by reading for an hour or more!
- Pretend to be on Chopped and make a meal from food in your pantry.
- Give yourself an at-home manicure or pedicure.
- Eat dinner in your backyard, on your front porch, or on your apartment balcony. Spread out a picnic blanket and settle in!
- Fill out a spread in your Write the Word Journal.
- Pull weeds or water your garden.
- Write a note to a family member or friend.
- Take an extra-long bath. Bring a book or snacks!
- Dig into all your magazines that have been piling up.
- Page through one of your cookbooks and mark every recipe you want to try.
- Go for a bike ride.
- Watch a movie. Don't do anything else (besides maybe eat a snack!)—just watch and enjoy!
- Organize a part of your living space (votes were split on whether this counts as relaxing!).
- Light a fire in a backyard fire pit - s'mores optional (but not really ;))
- Bake cookies or a breakfast treat for the next day.
- Start a new needlepoint project. (We love the cheeky designs from Lycette.)
- Listen to a podcast while doodling or coloring.
- Jot down a gratitude list from the day.
- Play "DJ Alexa" while cleaning the kitchen (trade off choosing songs at random for your Echo or Spotify to play!).
- Try your hand at watercoloring using a free tutorial.
- Take a walk around your neighborhood.
- Take a class on the Peloton app (free for 90 days!). Choose from stretching, yoga, dance cardio, strength training, and more.
- Fill out a new PowerSheets Wildcard page.
- Play a board game, a card game, or a simple, quick game like Bananagrams.
- If all else fails, go to bed early. You can (almost) never get too much sleep! :)
Looking for a more productive way to fill your time? Check out these 46 productive things to do instead of scrolling on your phone!
Tell us: what's your favorite way to relax in the evening, without your phone?